07 Oct Manager of Product Management & Development
Manager of Product Management & Development
DEPARTMENT: Sales & Marketing
JOB TITLE: Manager of Product Management & Development
REPORTING TO: Director of Product Management & Development
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
DATE PREPARED: October 2022
The Manager of Product Management and Development manages and coordinates product development projects. The Manager manages project budgets and prepares financial analysis reports for top management. The Manager will also have direct management responsibility of a team of Product Managers and/or Developers. The Manager is responsible for attracting, retaining, and developing top talent within the team which could be comprised of both direct hire and contracted resources. This position works with other departments to establish a design, technology, product development, and vendor strategy, translating product vision into strategies and tactics, managing a development backlog, and delivering solutions contributing to the attainment of business objectives.
This position is strategic and tactical, and requires close interaction internally – with marketing, sales, technical development and operations, customer service and, externally, with vendors, partners, and end users.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead team of Product Managers/Developers to execute the product, user experience and technology strategy to propel growth and profitability.
- Assist in leading the executive Product Steering Committee, defining, and driving product direction, roadmap, and priorities.
- Manage subordinate staff in the day-to-day performance of their jobs.
- Manage product performance through building, monitoring, and reporting on KPIs while identifying opportunities for improvement and driving change to deliver the desired outcome.
- Manage the product life cycle for all products within the product portfolio, from inception to end of life ensuring maximum profitability, efficiency, and customer satisfaction.
- Receives and prioritizes incoming requests from business partners and stakeholders balanced against business strategy, product vision and user needs.
- Evaluate and resolve technical feasibility, design optimization, and production issues.
- Act as a hands-on working manager with direct ownership of product and product initiatives.
- Build and maintain a collaborative environment between the product team and cross functional departments to translate business requirements into user stories and acceptance criteria with enough detail for development teams to deliver.
- Partner with cross functional departmental leaders to ensure product priorities are clearly understood and development timelines are met.
- Work closely with client-facing constituents (e.g., Sales or Partner Support), partners and end users to understand market trends, anticipate market needs, document emerging requirements and translate into tangible solutions.
- Identify key opportunities for ongoing product innovation and enhancements to ensure Saddleback/Reinvent meets its clients at their highest point of need.
- Perform market study and competitive analysis to identify product value proposition and market differentiation opportunities.
- Research and understands price/value in all respective segments and optimize gross profit margin by driving cost reductions, adjusting price, or exiting markets.
- Develop business cases supporting roadmap items and monitor ROI of investments.
- Support sales and marketing by communicating business requirements and system capabilities, attending client visits, and supporting sales efforts.
The above cited duties and responsibilities describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to the job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all the duties and responsibilities that an incumbent may be expected or asked to perform.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Management, Engineering, or equivalent from an accredited university.
- Minimum of 7 years of demonstrated product leadership experience with a track record of consistent and exemplary achievement.
- Minimum of 7 years in software, technology, or consumer focused digital roles
- Minimum of 3 years leading, developing, and managing high performing teams.
- Strong leadership skills with experience in developing a team for maximum success in delivering on business objectives.
- Prior experience building, scaling, and maturing Product Management and/or Product Development teams through proven implementation of best practice processes, practices, and tools.
- Proven multi-year track record of success in Product Management and/or Product Development.
- Strong understanding of telecommunications products, technologies and software including, but not limited to voice, data, and layered services in a cloud, hosted or TDM based infrastructure required.
- Strong understanding of the direct and wholesale sales models.
- Ability to visualize long term strategy and execute in the immediate.
- Demonstrated financial acumen.
- Must be able to effectively and persuasively present complex information in a simple way to all levels within the business environment.
- Strong business acumen required, with a proven ability to lead and influence cross functional teams across all levels and functions to drive results.
- Capability to think commercially to drive business cases, product pricing and packaging strategies and margin improvement initiatives.
- Market analysis experience to identify and quantify market needs and identify opportunities as well as evaluating competitor offerings.
- Excellent skills in product planning to define and refine scope and clearly outline and execute the complete product plan.
- Excellent skills in critical thinking, problem solving and analysis.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and gifted in interpersonal interactions (e.g., collaboration, consensus building, conflict management, etc.).
- Excellent documentation, analytic, modeling, financial skills using the Microsoft suite of software (Word, Excel, Access, Power Point, Outlook, OneNote and Teams).
- Ability to function in a fast-paced, dynamic environment – managing diverse priorities.
- Confident self-starter with integrity and accountability.
- Highly motivated, competitive, and entrepreneurial individual with a desire to tackle challenging opportunities.
- Typing/computer keyboard
- Verbal communication
- Utilize computer software (specified above)
- Written communication
- Retrieve and compile information
- Public speaking/group presentations
- Maintain records/logs
- Research, analyze and interpret information
- Verify data and information
- Investigate, evaluate, recommend action
- Organize and prioritize information/tasks
- Leadership and supervisory, managing people
- Operate office equipment
- Basic mathematical concepts (e.g. add, subtract)
- Advanced mathematical concepts (fractions, decimals, ratios, percentages, graphs)
- Abstract mathematical concepts (interpolation, inference, frequency, reliability, formulas, equations, statistics)
- Sitting for extended periods
- Extended periods viewing computer screen
- Normal office environment
Saddleback is an “Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.” Preference will be given to a qualified Community Member, then a qualified Native American and then other qualified candidate.